Sturgis officials move to cut curbside recycling amid rising costs
While no formal vote was taken, all but one commissioner expressed support for ending the service in fiscal year 2026.

Sturgis city commissioners reached an informal consensus Wednesday to eliminate curbside recycling from next year’s budget, citing rising costs and a funding gap.
While no formal vote was taken, all but one commissioner expressed support for ending the service in fiscal year 2026.
“I’m hearing consensus of the commission to remove the curbside program,” clarified City Manager Andrew Kuk.
The city’s curbside recycling program, which began in 2007, is funded through a $2 monthly fee (or $25 per year) on residential utility bills. That charge, permitted under state law, raises approximately $78,000 annually. However, the city’s recycling contract is set to expire at the end of the year and officials anticipate a significant increase in costs. Kuk said that even if the city raised the recycling fee to the legal maximum, the program would still face a shortfall of more than $150,000, which would have to be absorbed by the city’s budget.
Commissioners considered three options:
- Continue the program and have the city absorb the additional cost,
- Use existing recycling fee revenue to support an alternative option, such as a centralized drop-off site, or
- Remove the program from the city budget entirely.
Commissioners ultimately supported the third option.
“Recycling is a great thing, but since it began, I barely have a bag of trash. And yet my cost has gone up. This might actually save our residents money,” Commissioner Jeff Mullins said.
All commissioners who spoke on the matter expressed their intent to sign up for a private curbside service if they cut the city program. Currently, one area provider offers residential recycling at roughly $12 per month for customers without trash service, and around $40 per month for those with it.
No members of the public spoke during the meeting.
“This was on the agenda, and the agenda was put on Facebook. And you see the hoards of people out there arguing right now about this,” Mayor Frank Perez said.

Earlier in the meeting, commissioners unanimously approved a new fire engine to replace the current 721 and 711 engines, and address “parts of the town without adequate water access.” The new fire engine is estimated to cost between $800,000-$1.2 million.
The FY26 budget is still in development. A public hearing is scheduled for September 10, during which residents will be able to provide feedback.
Maxwell Knauer is a staff writer with Watershed Voice.
